Sunday, October 9, 2011

#1

When I first read "And then I Read," I actually felt kind of sorry for Myers.  I felt bad because he wanted to go to collage, and when he realized that money would be an obstacle, he just gave up, and dropped out of High School.  It made me a bit sad inside to know he just gave up hope like that.  I did feel better in knowing that he did eventually go to collage, and I couldn't help but share his pride. 


After reading "Why I Write" by Orwell, I really felt a connection.  I felt like he described MY childhood in a way.  I haven't done writing for the school paper, and I defiantly wasn't alive for WW1, but I was "that kid" too.  I had doesn't of imaginary friends, I liked to read, write, and tell stories.  I could memorize the lines of entire movies, and recite them back to anyone that asked.
 I did alot of the things he did, and his write really hit home for me.  I could connect with it.


I also really liked "Why I Write" by Williams.  I know many people in my class didn't like her repetition, but I really liked it.  It gave off a poetic, passionate tone, and that type thing appeals to me.  I also liked all the deep comparisons such as "I write knowing I can be killed by my own words, stabbed by syntax, crucified by both understanding and misunderstanding."  She is speaking metaphorically of course, but still.  I like it. 

No comments: